We’re pleased to announce the 2020 call for applicants to MSJ’s Board of Directors. MSJ is looking to recruit four (4) members, two (2) to replace members that transitioned off, and two (2) that will support the current board members in a transition year.
WHY SERVE ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS?
MSJ’s Mission: We support the creation of sustainable learning environments that dismantle systems of oppression, amplify voices of the Global Majority, and cultivate partnerships to liberate the human potential.
Montessori for Social Justice is an entirely volunteer run 501(c)(3). Serving on the board of MSJ is a way to give back to the larger Montessori community, help shape the strategic direction of the organization, and continually find ways to better serve the needs of our community.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR?
MSJ encourages people from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and Montessori affiliation (credentialed teachers, assistants, administration, and families) to apply. In keeping with MSJ’s mission, the MSJ board is committed to creating a board composition that represents the greater community in regards to race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, family composition, and socioeconomic status.
Each Board Member is expected to:
- Read, review, and understand the contents of the MSJ Board Manual
- Maintain an updated job description and binder of duties and activities for their specific Board position and role/committee;
- Read and abide by the bylaws and policies
- Attend bi-monthly board meetings
- Read agenda and supporting materials, including committee reports, prior to all Board and committee meetings and assist in other ways to make Board meetings efficient and productive;
- Request clarifying questions of Board Members before General Board Meeting
- Upload monthly board reports to Google Drive
- Attend 2 in-person meetings per year (at your own expense, contingent on fundraising)
- Attend the annual MSJ conference
- Fulfill all duties of your assigned role
- Suggest possible nominees to the Board who can make significant contributions to the work of the Board and the organization
- Give or get a $1,000 donation to/for MSJ
- Represent MSJ to our group and nationally, honoring the mission, vision and community agreements
- Strive to embody MSJ’s mission while fulfilling your assigned duties
Montessori for Social Justice is an entirely volunteer run 501(c)(3). Board members must be willing to commit for a total of 5-10 hours/month. We estimate 2-4 hours/month for board/committee meetings and 3-6 hours/month for job specific duties. Additionally board members must be willing to commit to attending the annual conference and board retreat each June that they actively serve on the board.
JOB DESCRIPTIONS AND APPLICATION
If you know a Montessori teacher, administrator, or community member who is passionate about Montessori education as a vehicle for social justice we urge you to forward this information to them. Please find the job descriptions and applications below.
Applications close on September 30, 2020, at 11:59 PM PST.